02 January, 2018

2018 - Der Wind und der Löwe - A New Direction?

I have been doing a slew of Googling the last few days (and having to work a late shift on New Year's Day leads to a mass amount of boredom which in turn leads to a lot of time playing on the internet), which is inspiring me to get some colonial gaming projects worked on in 2018.  With the release last year of Blue Moon's Boxer Rebellion range, coupled with my frustration with the poor customer service from a certain company for the Herero project, perhaps some sort of gaming compromise can be had.  

While I wouldn't mind doing a true Boxer Rebellion setting, the expense of those Blue Moon Legation buildings, along with the fact that they do not have lift off roofs keeps me from buying what are pretty much the only game in town for 15mm Chinese buildings.  Remembering the great fun I had playing in Irishserb's Ponape multinational extravaganzas some years ago, but knowing that I cannot do 25/28mm due to space limitations, another direction must be taken.  Having a pretty decent amount of North Africa/Middle East terrain, I am thinking that a The Wind and the Lion based setting would work well.  It would still offer the colorful multinational factions that I and a lot of gamers enjoy, allow me to use existing buildings and terrain, and deal with a miniatures company that offer reliable service and fair pricing.

The various factions can all be handled using Blue Moon - not only for the western powers that are already covered in the Boxer range, but also Arabs from their French Foreign Legion line.  If wanted, askaris could be added from the Deep Dark Africa range and Egyptians as local forces from the Sudan Campaigns listing.

I wouldn't necessarily do a straight movie adaptation, but use the setting more as a background.  The various guys I game with can pack a faction to provide and that will give the setting a bit of a Boxer Rebellion feel, just in the desert.  I think I'll focus on the Germans, some Arabs, and perhaps some Egyptians to get things started.  I may consider buying some stone walls from Crom's Anvil to provide my town with a bit of defenses.

Okay, so yes, this does move away a bit for the main topic of this blog, the Herero Revolt.  But it would still be a gaming project that would involve the Germans, and could fill a bit of a hole until I decide if that certain gaming company is worth my time and money.

5 comments:

  1. Buckeye, I love where you are going with this. I myself have run many games with The Wind And The Lion as the backdrop! Most notably the game we ran from the last battle scene in the movie and the recent games of The Hun The Frog And The Lion. The figs used for these games have tons of uses both within this historical fiction context as well as strictly historical encounters.

    Check out these posts from my blog for TW&TL inspired games. There are (5) TW&TL posts and (4) THTF&TL posts.

    https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/2014/06/recon-2014-wind-and-lion.html?m=0

    https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-hun-frog-lion-3_8.html?m=0

    Cheers,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jb - I have stumbled across those piccies while doing my Google searching the last couple of days...some really gorgeous games you have going there. I've added the blog to the blog list and will pop over from time to time to steal...er, I mean to garner...some ideas!

      Delete
  2. Buckeye, too funny, and thank you for the compliments. Please feel free to "garner" any ideas you like sir! Lol

    My wife's family is from Ohio so I've spent quite a lot of time there the past 20 years.
    Cheers,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part of Ohio? I am located in Cincinnati (no Bengals or Reds comments, please).

      Delete
  3. Columbus, and I don't like the Bungles or the Reds... Lol.

    Go Bucks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...